Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Embodied Persuasion


This article talks about how what we're doing with our bodies can affect what going on in our minds. A simple example is that if you're asked to nod your head up and down, you're more likely to agree with information presented to you while doing so. One bit that really caught my attention was this:

>>when induced to slump in their chairs, people feel diminished pride in their task performance<<

Good playing position not only makes the mechanics of playing an instrument easier, it can affect how well you think you can play.

photo - blue bell(?)

2 comments:

  1. This links up with what I was describing about mimicry. This is a key way in which emotions are communicated - your physical attitude is mimicked by the person seeing you, who in term acquires an emotional attitude based on their (and originally your) physical attitude.

    Also, I sit up straight in my chair when playing, partly so I can breathe easily and in a controlled fashion, partly to get my neck and throat muscles as relaxed as practicable, and partly because I want the audience to see me, to see that I'm enjoying playing the horn and that what I play will be enjoyable for them to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan - Agreed. This article suggests all kinds of deep underworkings in music making. It's a sure thing I'll be coming back to it, but having finally covered points from your first post on musicality, want to move on to the others, especially the mimicry one. It may all tie together perfectly, but I tend to be slow witted about things of this nature and want to proceed one step at a time. (Keep checking the Rondino post to see if you're going to tell us how Ealing went.)

    ReplyDelete